Something of Myself

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

It's been quite a while since I had the time and/or frame of mind to pen down my thoughts. There have been many learnings during this time that I have been away from myself. Or may be, perhaps, I was getting closer - who knows?

I have discovered a being called Ramana Maharishi and his words, teachings and most of all, his silence has taught me a number of things. Taught me to submit myself. Taught me to look within. Taught me to take a shot at negating misery. Taught me to put behind my worries. Taught me that the world exists only in our minds. And of course, in our egos. And that if we relinquish our mind and ego then there is nothing left but the Self...which is where everything resides. The idea is terribly tempting.

Before I end up making this a post on the Maharishi, here's a gem that I found today and it made SO much sense...if only all of us could comprehend the full meaning:

"What will not happen will never happen, whatever effort one may put forth. And what will happen will not fail to happen, however much one may seek to prevent it. This is certain. The part of wisdom therefore is to stay quiet."

I have been truly attracted towards his teachings. I spend whatever time I get reading his works, reading tales of his deeds by his disciples which by the way even during the period of the Raj included white firangs. His words have made me look at loss and death from a different perspective. But I am yet to understand so much which is why I am still stuck here, inside the body, inside the being that is called 'I'. Incidentally, I am 'hunting for the I.'

On a different note, a friend's friend just got published - became an author. And how? She put together her blog posts and earned a publisher who was willing to publish her! How wonderful it must have been. Everyone of us who have the habit of writing does so to share her thoughts and experiences with others. Like music and the art of making art, there is no gratification until there is a public to receive it. Although you will find the greatest of them all writing for themselves, even then you will realise that there ultimate glory is in reaching out to millions of strangers and talking to them through their works. What else be literature and its cause?

I wish someday, after I am done with earning the bread for my family, I am able to go into the writing zone and write 10-15 pages a day. Everyday. Read and write. Read and write. And ultimately get published and reach out to all those who have touched me and to those who did not. But for that, like I was telling my wife the other day, to be a good musician, a good writer - a genuine creative person - one needs to be a very good human being. I have to first accomplish that task before I move on to the next. In this the life and words of Maharishi is inspiring for he teaches you to look nowhere but within. He teaches you that the beginning of the 'I' is within the 'I' itself. There is nothing beyond the 'I'. Whatever is, is either a construct of our minds or is a result of fulfilling our desires (again the desires of our minds). I want to move beyond that. I want to go to the Hill and experience what it means to be in touch with myself. Not something of myself, but myself. My Self.
posted by Pele at 9:22 am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home