Something of Myself

Friday, December 09, 2005

In Memoriam - A H Tennyson

I sometimes hold it half a sin
To put in words the grief I feel;
For words, like Nature, half reveal
And half conceal the Soul within.

But, for the unquiet heart and brain,
A use in measured language lies;
The sad mechanic exercise,
Like dull narcotics, numbing pain.

In words, like weeds, I’ll wrap me o’er,
Like coarsest clothes against the cold:
But that large grief which these enfold
Is given in outline and no more.

[...]

That loss is common would not make
My own less bitter, rather more:
Too common! Never morning wore
To evening, but some heart did break.

[...]

Expecting still his advent home;
And ever met him on his way
With wishes, thinking, ‘here to-day,’
Or ‘here to-morrow will he come.’

[...]

A hand that can be clasp’d no more–
Behold me, for I cannot sleep,
And like a guilty thing I creep
At earliest morning to the door.

He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again,
And ghastly thro’ the drizzling rain
On the bald street breaks the blank day.

[...]

For this alone on Death I wreak
The wrath that garners in my heart;
He put our lives so far apart
We cannot hear each other speak.

[...]

posted by Pele at 7:57 am

3 Comments:

He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again,...

Superb lines. Very good poem.

11:50 am  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:05 pm  

It is certainly one of my favourite poems and it comes from an English poet who (according to me) had a remarkable ear for rhyme...Not to mention the gift of expression - 'noise of life' - ah, music...sheer music...

Glad you liked it.

12:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home