Something of Myself

Sunday, June 17, 2007

He was never the brightest during his school times. In fact, many labelled him as a loser. I met him 7 years back - he was no different, except that thanks to a bank loan, he had got himself to the land of Her Royal Majesty. He was still struggling. Britishness was a thing that he aspired for, and being the odd fellow that he was, integration, or inclusion was not his cuppa.

I met him yesterday. In a digital space. He is working with one of the giant corporations of the world. He has a flat in London. He owns a BMW. He has, as they would say, 'made it.'

------------------------

This babe from the backward region of India had only one thing on her mind when she was 21: get married. Everywhere she went, from Bristol to Bath, from Sussex to Lancaster, from Birmingham to Wales, she was always looking for a 'suitable boy.' Trouble was, she was not very charming, could not speak English, was too dark for any sense of exotica, and most importantly, was a kind of girl you would just try to avoid (even in a 2 hour flight).

She appeared on FHM's cover page, six months ago. She is being hailed with the ranks of a certain Shilpa Poppadum who gave Britain a race for their pounds. She has white men slurping on her feet. She is a British citizen. She is getting married to a guy who works with a leading investment bank (read earns in millions). Boob jobs and plastic surgery does help, but what captures people who know her from age 21 is her transformation in character, and more importantly, her determination to make it big. She has, as they would say, 'made it.'

-------------------------

I, like most individuals, find it extremely convenient to justify my defeats and setbacks by handing all of it onto the hands of unseen idea called Destiny. I wish I could break through this urge to sit back, and blame my circumstances for where I stand today. In some ways, I have begun to respect the above individuals because they took their destiny in their hands, played along the tunes of life, fell, lift themselves up, went against everyone around them, got into trouble, but then single-handedly morphed their destiny to their own tune. Today they sing what they please, and I am confident that their music is going to last as long as they will. People like these truly make a mark. It's not about earning money, or owning a car, or securing a citizenship of a developed country - life's more than that. It's about their struggle and in turn their indomitable spirit. The spirit to look beyond immediate shortcomings, to move on, to listen to their own hearts, to weep but never saying never!

I know none of them are going to read this, but if ever they do, they should know this post stands as a silent testimonial to the way they have 'made it' in life. I wish I had half the steam left in me. I wish I could summon the drive.

There is nothing tragic (or is it comic?) about this: just that a man in his twenties has lost touch with his core being. That said, knowing myself, I know someone, someday, will touch a certain chord in my being that will shake me up - that will wake me from my slumber. For this is nothing else but that: an extended slumber. Life awaits, and I do not need you to tell me that: I am just waiting for the right moment.

We'll celebrate when they speak of me and say - he has 'made it.' Until then, let the Malt age, keep it handy!
posted by Pele at 8:25 am

2 Comments:

Its how u define the phrase "made it". In worldly terms, yes u might have a long way to go, but the potent question is are u satisfied with yourself, your achievements, if yes, then "you have made it", lets open the malt and celebrate. :)

12:13 pm  

The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep...and miles to go before I sleep.

That should answer your question. :)

3:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home