Something of Myself

Friday, December 17, 2004

Black British Poetry

"We mark your memory in songs
Fleshed in the emptiness of folk
Poems that scrape bowl and bone
In English basements far from home." (Coolie Odyssey)

"England where it snows and we still born brown
That I come back from to here, home
As hungry as any white man for native gold
To plant flag and to map your mind." (Homecoming)

- Fred D'Aguiar (who methinks to be one more on my hitlist because his writing is beautiful)

I just LOVE the second one. Jesus, these people, out there, writing...God's gift to us. :)
posted by Pele at 4:05 pm

5 Comments:

Watch Roots, if you ever get an opportunity. Its bloody insightful and I love Chomsky's work - M :-)

4:15 am  

OK. Thanks for this - will keep in mind. Yes, I like Chomsky too but I am more of a Foucauldian. ;) Have you read him? :)

1:06 pm  

I think there is a confusion here about Chomsky. I am talking about Marvin Chomsky and not Noam Chomsky. Marvin Chomsky directs TV series usually :-) Though I have read Michel Foucault in the past. I am not high on these philosophers. At a point in my life I did read a lot of Kierkegaard though. M.

3:44 pm  

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Yes, thanks for the clarification - I was not thinking about Marvin but Naom. Pleased to know you read Foucault - now that's what makes you a really special "muse". ;) Take care.

10:41 am  

Oh I read him a long time ago. Right now I am reading Carl Hiaasen. He's a funny guy but you must have lived in Florida to get his sense of humor. So you wanna dance, Frank, or do you wanna sit here and have a heart attack? :-) M.

4:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home