Something of Myself

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My conversation with an erudite 30+ person last night reminded me of Roland Barthes. I remember my introduction to Semiotics and hated it all the way through first year. Clearly, it made no sense to me and belied every reason for studying the same.

I came back to it during my third year and loved it. It made complete sense. I had obviously nurtured my thirst for academia and therein the sensibilities perhaps sharpened. Last night, after the conversation, I went back online and dig up the old web sites that once educated me on Barthes. It was an amazing experience...to look, hunt, explore and refresh memories related to the world of literary studies.

Stuck in the race to appease the hunger, I wonder if I will go on a vacation that will just make me read, read and read. Not the Tony Parsons type but Saussure, Barthes, Freud, Nietzsche...stuff that will make me stay up all night to prod through their minds...to attempt to understand the philosophies that have moulded centuries of 'thought.' Of language and culture. Of race and identity. Of signs and communication. Of individuals and society. Of imprisonment and empowernment.

I am so tempted to apply for a leave...

If only this hunger could be abated at the cost of gastric juices...
posted by Pele at 7:37 am

1 Comments:

When u feel like doing something so strongly, then "Just Do It". As a friend once said, never judge yourself for what u want to do, do what u want to, and do it that moment. Stop torturing urself thinking what u want to do with ur life, just think what u want at that moment, live for that moment. Life is too short to plan.

4:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home