Something of Myself

Friday, June 11, 2004

Remembering Nitin

today. As I listen to the songs of Dil to Pagal Hain (DTPH), music by Mr. Rahman, I can't help but think of my oldest (not in age but in years spent together) buddy - Nitin. Nitin Verma. One of our Physics professors used to call him "Verma"..."Arrey Verma doesnt know that he is an idiot!" HA HA HA That was great...
Anyways, coming back to DTPH. Surreal memories...Behala...the sweaty bus ride to 14 Number. Then following the kaccha meander and entering his gulli, with the gutters running on both the sides. I used to love his place - so typical of our Kolkata. Then second floor, bell on top right hand corner. Enter, on your right, the drawing room posing its two sofas, and one brand NEW sony system. We put DTPH. Nitin said I would like it. Went to the verandah. Moonlit night. Pasher badir meye taar silhoutte dekha jacche...and then we just sat there listening to music. Over and over again, same cassette, same tunes...Aunty came in once or twice to ask for food etc and we just told her to go away. That was my definition of peace. A light breeze, cool day, evening time, orangish sky and music! Music IS the food of Life (of course Love is included).

After some years, when I met him by the portals of SXC, we just whistled TOGETHER - arre re arre yeh kya huya! The feeling was un-fucking-imaginable! We hadnt met for three years, but when we met, what did we do? Whistled a tune that we had heard together and just smiled - exchanged glances that meant - "Good to see you buddy! We are still the same." It was an indefinable moment. A moment that is green in my mind. I am sure he remembers it too.

Today when I hear the same song...I am, for a moment taken instantly to Nitin's elaka...Behala..volatile...

Dont know where he is now. Last time I heard from him, he was sailing...and drinking...I am hoping he will do a Google and bump across this site. Bastard, get in touch you fucker! NOW. Sala even Olypub wouldnt be the same without him. I hope he is there in Cal when I reach. If he isnt, I'll whistle anyways. Why?

Dil To Pagal Hain. That's why.
posted by Pele at 7:48 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home